Thursday, August 4, 2011

Grandpa Ralph and Grandma Gloria

One year ago today, August 4, 2010, Grandpa Ralph went to Heaven to be reunited with Grandma. Life was never the same for him after her passing, or for any of us. Grandma was our family rock, our constant provider and our go to for just about everything. Their deep love and devotion for each other and their family was transparent to all who knew them.

Things I want to remember about my Grandma (and really the list is endless, but I'll try and keep it brief)
 
  • Her cooking.....Creamy rich dinners, freshly baked bread, melt in your mouth desserts.
  • Her favorite afternoon snack...crackers and boxed wine.
  • The hours she spent making all my clothes as a child. I found it quite annoying back then, but now I love that she did that for me.
  • Her ongoing advice on love, marriage, and raising children.
  • Her arguments with Grandpa that would make us all laugh (or sometimes just Grandma and me laugh)
  • Her confidence, drive and her push to make me a better person.
  • Her love for my children.
  • Because of her I am who I am.

Things I want to remember about my Grandpa (again an endless list)

    Riding in the back seat of his car while running errands usually to church or the bank.
  • Swimming in the backyard and picking berries from the vine.
  • The smell of double mint gum...the kind he always chewed.
  • Hearing him yell 'Julie' in his grandpa voice from a far away room.
  • Watching him play games with Jacob.
  • Eating his banana bread.
  • His stubbornness and determination.
  • His love for Grandma, his children, grandchildren, and great-grandchildren.
The year Grandpa died he moved to Watsonville to be closer to mom and dad. And as his usual self he made himself at home, planting a garden with my brother, and making friends with as many people possible.
Here he is July 4, 2010 - One month before his passing.
Miss you Grandpa

 

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for your blog, Julia. They were such warm and generous people and I am so thankful to have known them as long as I did. They opened their hearts to me and my daughter without reservation (well, Gloria had a moment's hesitation about my age until you all reminded her about her age difference!). The whole Bustrum clan is an example to other familys of how to love each other and care for each other and be present in each other's lives. I adore you all. Thank you again for sharing your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete